Tessellate offers a series of free one-month art/design/architecture residencies each open to an individual, collaborative partnership, or small team. Tessellate invites conceptual investigations and visual art, dynamic installations and innovative discourse, social practice endeavors and site specific works. To engage the residency beyond studio practice, each artist/designer/architect will initiate a community outreach event—a project, workshop, public talk, dinner party, or any creative activity that you propose. Each residency will culminate in a public gallery exhibit or open studio event.
Residents will have access to a 400sf studio space in the backyard apartment, as well as installation space in the garage gallery and a semi-private exterior courtyard for work or relaxation.
Accommodation is provided in a private room located in a house on the property shared with other artists from the Cranbrook Academy of Art. Two person teams will share a room. If you propose to bring more than two people, please specify so accommodation may be coordinated.
WHAT TESSELLATE PROVIDES
- Basic workshop and power tools
- A bicycle for local travel
- Salvaged materials and a collection of vintage books and curiosities
- Help finding additional materials/tools as needed
- Connection to the vibrant art communities of Metro Detroit and Cranbrook Academy of Art
WHAT YOU SHOULD BRING
- Any special materials or tools you might need
- A proposal for a community engagement event
- A car, if you have one
Please indicate your preference in the application. If you are open to multiple sessions, list them in order of preference.
- Session 1: May 1 - May 30
- Session 2: June 1 - June 30
- Session 3: July 1 - July 30
- Session 4: August 1 – August 30
Applications are due March 10, 2017. To apply, submit the following to email@example.com.
- Letter of interest, outlining:
- Proposed concept or project to be explored
- Proposal for a community outreach event.
- 10-20 page work sample in PDF format
Accepted residents will be notified April 1.